I’ve been walking, meditating, and charting as a form of art practice and presence for several years. I’ve been walking my own paths, but let me extend an invitation to walk yours – a custom-made personal cartography.
Using a specific physical location from you, I will make you an artwork, made in ink and/or watercolor, roughly based on map data that includes the location specified. I call these “personal cartographies” – drawings rooted in the everyday places we all occupy, share, and move through. See the photos below for examples of previous work I’ve done for people.
- A custom-made drawing, using ink and/or watercolor mediums on cold-press paper.
- An original artwork you can display in your home or workplace that is rooted in the place you live, work, and play.
- Or, gift someone an artwork with their own location.
- Drawing will be unframed and shipped via cardboard shipping tube.
- Please give 4-6 weeks for creation of the artwork.
Costs (includes materials, tax, and shipping costs)
15″ x 22″ – $400 ($600 framed)
22″ x 30″ – $750 ($1000 framed)
Custom/large – email me for details
Instructions: To order your own Personal Cartography, contact me at my email, or get started right away by using one of the payment options below. Don’t forget to send your place location – this can be an address, cross streets, a neighborhood, name of a town or city, or any other location found on a map.
- Secure payment via Paypal: www.paypal.me/mattpwhitney
- Secure payment via Square cash / Cash App: $mattpwhitney
- Local to Seattle – cash or check. Email me at matt at matthewwhitney.com for instructions.
- In your email or payment note, send me the location you wish me to create from. Please limit your location to a specific, single place. If you have a specific route (walk, drive, etc) you are interested in, email me to discuss!
- Be creative! Think of this less as a map of a place, but as an illumination of the spaces you inhabit. How does this location inspire you? How does a place root you, or how do you find yourself giving to that place? Feel free to share a mood or impression you have of that space.
- In your email or payment note, please also include a shipping address.