I approach spiritual guidance (also known as spiritual direction, spiritual companionship) as a relationship, where through compassionate listening to the events, circumstances, questions, and explorations of your own story, you are empowered to discover your deepest relationship with God, Allah, Tao, Universal Consciousness, or however you define the Ground of All Being.
Working with a spiritual guide can awaken you to new possibilities, new connections and a new sense of meaning in life. My approach to spiritual guidance is to simply hold a listening space in a one-on-one session, in which you can explore the things that matter to you.
Consider: has anyone recently asked, “How are you?”, and really meant it?
When most people ask you this question, how do you respond? Usually, we say, “fine, thanks.” We probably share something about our job, or relate a short story about something that happened to you in the past few days. Something about the weather.
When I ask, “how are you?” – I want to know what’s on your heart. What truly matters for you? These are the kinds of heart-awakening questions I like to listen for:
- What’s stirring for you? Where are you dissatisfied? What do you long for? What do you hope for?
- Do you have any big questions? Have you ever asked yourself – What is the meaning of life? What is the meaning of your life? Why do bad things happen? Why is there suffering? Why am I suffering?
- Where do you feel most alive- Is it climbing mountains? Dancing or karaoke? Making dinner for friends? Growing things in your garden? Photography? Writing short poems on your coffee break?
- Do politics and current events fill you with a disgust or dread that you want to be rid of, but feel the need to “stay engaged”?
- If you are part of a church or come from a religious tradition – do you feel energized by it, or do you feel exhausted by it? Does singing and chant fill you with warmth? Will hearing one more sermon drive you away for good?
- Do you ever have profound experiences that you don’t know how to talk about?
When I ask, “how are you?” – I mean it.
I am fascinated with the spiritual journey, and I love learning from others how each of us is discovering what it means to attune to and practice the awareness of being-with our ultimate reality. If you are interested in seeing me for spiritual guidance, I would love to meet with you.
Spiritual guidance is really spiritual companionship. I serve as a friend who holds space for you to discern your own relationship to Ultimate Reality. The “holds space” part is the key. I don’t direct you, I don’t tell you how your spiritual journey should unfold, and I don’t give advice (unless you ask for it, and only reluctantly!). The space is held for you to explore the deeper truth that is within you, to listen for it, and to speak it aloud. Or, to talk through some of the clutter that might be getting in the way of that deep truth. Talking through things is extremely clarifying.
To learn more about spiritual guidance (also known as spiritual direction or spiritual companionship), I invite you to read the FAQ, or the “Do I need a spiritual companion?” page, on the SDI website (which I helped create).
I am completing an 18-month training as a certified spiritual guide by the Spiritual Guidance Training Institute. Whether your journey is well defined, or you feel you are just starting out, or you just have an unsettled sense of longing for deeper meaning in your life – I would love to learn more.
If you’re curious about contemplative practice and meditation, I am a trained facilitator in Interspiritual Meditation (ISM) and would be happy to help you develop a contemplative practice that works for you.
You can learn more about me on my About page.
Where are you on your spiritual journey? Lets talk about it!